Every day we give our dogs regular food and treats, watching the satisfaction on their face as they eat. But what if you could entertain your dog and challenge your dog at the same time as feeding them? You see, a dog lick mat provides both food and the challenge of getting that food, training your dog’s brain and stomach simultaneously. The textured mat is designed to engage pets while attempting to lick the food out of the crevasses.
Dog lick pads are rising in popularity because the proven metal benefits to your dog are outstanding. Below we outline everything you need to know about a dog licking mat so you can make an informed decision before purchasing one for your little friend. This guide will feature:
- Benefits of lick mats
- Things to put on a lick mat
- How to clean lick mats
- Where to get a lick mat
Benefits of lick mats
Lick mats are unique! They provide fantastic mental exercise for your dog, and when a dog lick pad is used currently, it can have tremendous positive effects on your pet.
Studies have shown that licking releases endorphins in a dog’s brain. This has a calming and relaxing effect on a dog.
Here are a few reasons why owners are choosing to get a dog licking mat for their pet:
Reduces stress and anxiety
if your dog gets overwhelmed during bathing, grooming, or other activities, the lick mat provides a welcomed (and delicious) distraction. It also helps with car travel anxiety like on a trip to the vet.
Keeps your dog busy
boredom is often the cause of destructive behaviors, so keeping your dog occupied with the lick mat can help redirect their energy.
They are engaging
Training a dog’s brain is equally as crucial as physical exercise. While your dog eats, they will be figuring out how to lick that mat clean. They will not only enjoy the food but enjoy the challenge of licking the mat.
Lick Mats (and any brain work for that matter) are a powerful way to help reduce problem behaviors like unwanted chewing, barking, and more!
Things to put on a lick mat
You can put almost anything on a dog lick mat. If you think your dog would like the food or usually eats the food, then it would be perfect on a lick pad. Look at the below for ideas on what to include:
- Natural Peanut Butter – a great source of healthy fats, vitamins, and well-needed protein for dogs of all ages.
- Ground meat: Chicken, salmon, and beef (with no seasonings!) are best.
- Steamed pumpkin
- Cream cheese or cottage cheese.
- Natural Yogurt – high in protein and calcium and probiotics that boost your dog’s immune system and help support digestion.
- Bananas – high in vitamins B6 and C, and contain potassium – which is why many vets specifically recommend this fruit as a healthy dog treat.
- Steamed Sweet Potato – a whole food, great source of carbohydrates.
- Honey – Many benefits including antimicrobial and antifungal properties, reduces inflammation, soothes stomach ulcers and sore throats. Since honey is mainly sugar, make sure to use small amounts of honey to keep dog’s teeth healthy.
Different flavors and textures will heighten your dogs’ senses and engage their brain more than just standard eating. Make sure you only use small portions, so you are not overfeeding your dog. Also, if eating too quickly is a concern for you and your pet, then consider freezing some feeds for a short amount of time before they eat. This means they will eat a bit slower.
How to clean lick mats
Lick mats are very easy to clean. The best way is to soak them in a sink with soap and hot water the scrub the remains off. If you find that tedious, then in the dishwasher on a low setting works too.
If you want to try a dog lick mat for your dog, KULULU is the place to go. With practical, colorful, and sturdy designs, your dog will love anything from here.